General maintenance: Everything that makes your instrument a working tool.
- checking & repairing all glued seams and securing any loose parts
- ensuring pegs turn smoothly and safely
- keeping the fingerboard in the right shape and surface
- checking position and fit of the sound post
- shape, strength and fit of the bridge
- checking that strings are giving the best sound possible
- making sure there is no hidden damage such as cracks and excessive wear
- I look after most aspects of bow maintenance including re-hairing and thumb leather and other fittings for all bow sizes.
- I also work on Baroque instruments and bows.
Major repairs: always keeping in mind the value of the instrument, whether commercial or sentimental
- Water and humidity damage
- Missing parts replaced (eg fingerboard, pegs, broken edges, neck grafts)
- Reinforcement of weaknesses
- Rebalancing tensions and pressures